Sunday, January 14, 2007

Section by Section Book Review: Pfeffer and Sutton's: Hard Facts

I've started to hit the books hard, books on search, competitive intelligence, analytics, data gathering, analysis and even math. The more I read... the more the world of data opens up into an amazing pattern.

Rather than stay in my little reading hole, As I read the books, I'm going to do a section by section review of what I've learned.

The first book I'm going to take a look at is Jeffery Pfeffer and Robert Sutton's book: Hard Facts - Dangerous Half-Truths & Total Nonsense (BN, Amazon). The book is about examining the pre-suppositions, assumptions and ingrained beliefs that managers, analysts and decision makers face when making decisions about strategies and processes that affect their business.

Pfeffer and Sutton take evidence based management methodologies and deconstruct the myths and assumptions, and they take close aim to the more dangerous half-truths and faddish business mantras. Already, I've read the first few chapters and I've been impressed with the skill in which they dissect some of the all too common axioms and slogans that populate business training.

Stay tuned, I will be doing another post on the book later. So far, I'm enjoying it.

No comments: